NIDO Europe launches Coronavirus Emergency Hotlines for Nigerian Diaspora in Europe tagged (NIDSAFE) and also initiates a Post COVID-19 strategies initiatives.
In a communique issued by the Central Executive council on Sunday 22nd of March 2020, NIDOE stated that this initiative becomes necessary as more and more countries and cities are heading for total lock-down as preemptive measures to curtail the spread of the deadly virus which Nigerian embassies and diplomatic missions around the globe have been caught up with partially or totally shut down as also preemptive measures and in compliance with the host countries’ directives. The communique also said that it will be chaotic and short-sighted for thousands of Nigerian Diaspora organisations and non-federated individuals across the globe to be pitched against one another, without the benefit of a defined structured coordinating body. They pointed that NIDCOM Act has already provided a road map and the time to fully activate it by inaugurating the NIDCOM is now.
The communique highlighted that Nigerians in Diaspora Organization is a global network united under an umbrella structure in 5 continents of the world, represents the interests of all Nigerians in the Diaspora. This network consists of NIDO Europe, NIDO Americas, NIDO Asia, NIDO Oceania and NIDO Africa and further strengthened by Federal Republic of Nigeria Official Gazette No. 67, Vol.104, NIDCOM Act.
NIDOE said that with the COVID-19 pandemic, they are challenged now more than ever to provide the coherent leadership which is now so urgently needed to galvanize all Nigerian Diaspora and professional organizations and to unite around a common agenda during this difficult period. NIDO Europe launches Coronavirus Emergency Hotlines for Nigerian Diaspora in Europe tagged (NIDSAFE) and also initiate Post COVID-19 strategies initiatives.
Part of such initiative is stepping up to fill any vacuum that might have been created by the pandemic due to closure of the embassy and to enhance community communication and have hereby made a clarion call to all Nigerian Diaspora and professional organizations to work together with NIDOE and support operation “NIDSAFE”.
According to NIDOE, NIDSAFE initiative is primarily conceived to support all measures already put in place in our respective countries of residence, and for the NIDOE country Chair or representative to:
- Keep a close track of the situation of all Nigerians in their respective countries – both NIDO and non-NIDO members
- Maintain a very close contact with officials of the Nigerian Embassy in their respective countries
- Disseminate authentic and up-to-date situation report in their various countries and its implications for Nigeria and Nigerians
- Assist as far as possible with official facilitation that requires the intervention of the authorities when such help is intentionally or unintentionally missing and to communicate same to designated Federal Government authorities for intervention when necessary
- Prepare the Diaspora for the eventual social and economic long-term fallout of the COVID-19 crisis and possible consequences to homeland development.
- Begin a Diaspora professional mapping in our respective countries for eventual and effective engagement with our respective countries of residence and designated state and federal agencies and non-governmental organizations back home in full preparation of Nigeria and Nigerians for the long-term effects of the COVID-19 crisis.
They called on the Diaspora to prepare for the worse while being optimistic and called all NIDOE country Chairs to be ready to provide leadership in their respective countries and urged all Nigerians in the Diaspora to report cases of COVID-19 or emergency situation to the following phone numbers stated above (WhatsApp ONLY) in addition to all other initiatives in their countries of residence.
Culled by the African Heritage Editorial Team